Monday, June 1, 2009

Colorado Here We Come... Day 1

Yay! It's FINALLY vacation time! We are heading to Durango, Colorado for (hopefully!) some rest and relaxation! So, last night, Max was so excited he wanted to help me pack and I said no way, you can help me pack tomorrow. So he says, "Mommy, when I wake up in the morning, I'm going to wake you up and daddy up. I'm going to wake both of you up so we can pack for Colorado!" So I thought it was pretty funny that he was the last one up this morning :)

6:22 am I hear Lia in her room bouncing in her crib and drag my sleepy self from my bed
6:35 am Ava comes running out of the bedroom with a big grin on her face
7:10 am A sleepy Max comes out of his room and says, "is it time to pack yet?"
8:30 am I start packing, all the time reminding my wonderful husband that yes,
everything is going to fit in the minivan and please leave me alone and let me pack :)
10:26 am All packed and ready to go!

I told Josh that everything would fit, and just for the record, it did :)

So a few things I learned today on our first road trip with 3 kids...
1. The carpet in the minivan is capable of soaking up 32 oz of iced tea
2. 2 1/2 year olds can and will go potty every hour and if they say 'I gotta go potty' that means right now, not at the next gas station that has a bathroom
3. Car seats are not a good place to take a nap
4. The baby will fall asleep exactly 2 minutes after you announce, "who wants to go to the park?"
5. Paci launch is only funny until the paci goes in the back of the van where it is unreachable (in case you're wondering what paci launch is, just imagine mommy with a paci spitting it at the kids... apparently it's pretty hilarious)
6. It is possible for little kids to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the car without making a mess... they're made by Smucker's and they're shaped like circles... totally worth the money in case you were wondering

So our morning consisted of driving out of KC, lunch at McDonalds, driving through Central Kansas, dinner, park, and ice cream in Great Bend (not sure what is so great, maybe the ice cream!) and now we're here in Larned, Kansas. I think the kids asked today "are we in Colorado?" about 100 times. Josh really wanted to make it through Kansas, but I think we'll make it to Colorado tomorrow :)
Here's a shot of all the stuff we took...

Lia kept trying to kick the camera...
Max & Ava had tons of books to read and games to play

Max's drawing of 'mr. the king'
Lia loves peekaboo


This is grumpy Lia
And sleeping Lia
This is what we saw pretty much all day
Lia really wanted some of daddy's ice cream





Hear Josh's side of the story here